We are living in a time that Scripture speaks of, where an epidemic of sickness has come upon God’s people (and everyone else). What does God tell Israel that they are to do when this happens? How is the church to respond? This podcast will unpack a scriptural admonition (2 Chronicles 7:12-16) to give listeners biblical wisdom on how to navigate these tumultuous times.
When God’s glory filled Solomon’s temple, God confirmed with Solomon His promised response to His people. In these instructions, the Lord gives Solomon specifics about how the Israelites should respond when there is a drought or plague.
“If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves,
and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways;
then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin,
and will heal their land” (2 Chronicles 7:14).
In this podcast episode, we explore each phrase of 2 Chronicles 7:14 and how it corresponds to other Scripture passages. What does this mean for Israel? What does this mean for the church? God said it, so God will accomplish it, but we need to heed what He says.
“We should first apply our faith to contend for the fulfillment
of this promise over Israel, to whom these verses are spoken.
Then, we should contend earnestly for ourselves
and the church, to heed and obey these instructions.”
When we call out to God for Israel and ourselves, we are to pray God’s Words and remind Him of what He has said, much like Moses did when God threatened to destroy the Israelites for making and worshiping a golden calf (Exodus 32). God is faithful to His Word so He will answer our prayers when we pray His Word.
“This is a clarion call to action.
To humble ourselves. To pray. To seek His face. To return unto the Lord.”
- 2 Chronicles 7:13–14
- Verse 13
- God is the one who sends a plague among the people (pandemic)
- Verse 14
- The Israelites are to notice this as from God, and respond accordingly
- They are to humble themselves
- They are to pray (specifically God’s promises and Word)
- They are to seek God’s face
- They are to turn from their wicked ways (repent)
- Then God will hear, forgive, and heal the land
- Verse 13
- Zephaniah 3:11
- God sometimes causes our circumstances that humble us
- Psalm 119
- When David prayed to God, David reminded God that his prayer requests were “according to Your Word”
- When we pray the Word of God, we are praying God’s will and purpose
- Deuteronomy 4:29-31, Hosea 3:4, Hosea 6, Isaiah 55
- God corrects the Israelites for their rebellion
- God promises that if they turn back to Him and seek Him, He will restore them
- “The best way to pray is according to God’s Word.”
- “God is glorified when people of faith cry out to Him according to His word.”
- “God is not a man that He should lie. His word will not return to Him void. It will accomplish everything that it says it will accomplish.”
- Remember to support the people of Israel and pray for them to return to the Lord
- Release our circumstances to the sovereignty of God to break our spirits and create humility in us according to His promises
- Pray and cry out to God according to the Word of God
- Watch for Israel and the church to seek the Lord with their whole heart in these last days and fulfill biblical prophecy