The Feast of Tabernacles Introduction – Episode 07
Once every year God’s people were to build simple shelters outside and live in them with their families for seven days as they celebrated the Feast of Tabernacles. This was a time of joyful celebration and Sabbath rest. During these seven days, they were to reflect on the time they spent wandering in the wilderness after coming out of Egypt. But what do these days of Tabernacles hold in store for us as believers today?
The Feast of Tabernacles is also called the Feast of the Lord, which shows us how important this celebration is. The whole point of living for seven days in simple shelters—tabernacles—is to recall the 40 years spent living in simple shelters in the wilderness.
In the Christian mindset, we think of the wilderness as a time when God is dealing with us or when negative things are happening. But the truth is that for the children of Israel, the wilderness actually had quite a few advantages to it. Many wonderful things transpired during their time in the wilderness.
For instance, in the wilderness the Presence of God dwelt with them. He led them by fire at night and cloud by day. They suffered no diseases. Their clothes and shoes did not wear out. They ate daily manna from heaven and a rock provided water for them. God brought order to their community and the rebellious and disobedient were purged from their midst.
The Feast of Tabernacles reminds us that the wilderness brought God’s people some of their most glorious days. God was present with them and provided for them as we believe one day we will also experience in His Kingdom.
- Leviticus 23:34-44. “You shall live in booths for seven days”
- Deuteronomy 16:13-18. “Seven days you shall celebrate a feast to the Lord… so that you will be altogether joyful”
- 2 Chronicles 5:1-7. “All the men of Israel assembled themselves to the king at the feast”
- John 7:37-39. “From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water”
- Isaiah 11:9. “For the earth will be full of the knowledge of the Lord”
- “I think that points to what Tabernacles is all about. It really is talking about the Lord’s presence in His Kingdom coming on the earth.”
- “Tabernacles gives us something to not just remember but to look forward to.”
- “Let us believe to see the glory of the Lord fill all of the Earth at this wonderful time of Tabernacles.”
“We call upon Your Presence, Lord. We remember Your Presence being with them then and we cry out in our own hearts for You to fulfill this Feast of Tabernacles and live with us now, in this earth. Amen.”
- We are to be altogether joyful in our celebration of this Feast.
- We should focus on all the positive blessings that existed in the wilderness.
- We will see the many facets of this Feast again in the Kingdom.
- We pray for the Holy Spirit to flow to the world through the Body of Christ.