We read in the Scriptures that judgment happens when the Lord’s presence sweeps away the refuge of lies. We can prepare our hearts for His coming by simply being honest with God about our need and not hiding ourselves from our own flesh. Let us come out of the hiding place of lies we built and let the Spirit of Truth lead us into all the truth.
We read in Isaiah 58 the Lord’s answer to those who asked why their seeking Him was not effective. He told them, “Your fasting is not what I choose,” and He exposed what was hindering their prayer lives. One aspect the Lord emphasized is very important for us right now in the day in which we live, and that is that we must not hide ourselves from our own flesh.
Why is it that we are not getting the release and deliverance that we cry out to God for? Could it be that we are hiding the very issues that the Lord is wanting to deal with? We can be praying for deliverance from problems but not really being honest with ourselves about the root of those issues in our own lives. If we are hiding from ourselves, there is a good chance we are hiding from Him.
The Scriptures show us that the hiding place people build for themselves is a hiding place of lies. It is hard to look around at this age and not recognize that the people of the world are concealing themselves in deception and making lies their refuge. As Christians we need to repent of this deceptive nature. Instead of hiding in our dwelling made of lies, we must make Him our hiding place. We must dwell in the shadow of the Almighty and abide in Him who is Truth.
- Hebrews 9:28. “Christ … will appear a second time … without reference to sin.”
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23. “Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely.”
- Isaiah 58:7-9. “And not hide yourself from your own flesh.”
- Isaiah 31:1. “They do not look to the Holy One of Israel, nor seek the Lord.”
- Isaiah 2:8-10, 17-21. “Enter the rock and hide in the dust from the terror of the Lord.”
- 2 Corinthians 3:18. “With unveiled face … are being transformed into the same image.”
- Revelation 6:14-17. “Hide us from the presence of Him who sits on the throne.”
- Isaiah 28:15-17. “We have concealed ourselves with deception.”
- John 8:31-45. “You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”
- Matthew 23:37-39. “I wanted to gather your children the way a hen gathers … under her wings.”
- Psalm 91:1-7. “Under His wings you may seek refuge.”
- John 16:12-15. “The Spirit of Truth … will guide you into all the truth.”
- Romans 8:14. “All who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.”
- “I think every person has deep interpersonal issues that they are trying to bring before the Lord to really be free of.”
- “I don’t care whether you’re saying it’s a fast from food, or water, or whatever. It’s a fast from hiding in lies. We fast from covering ourselves from ourselves and hiding from our own flesh.”
- “He is our deliverance. He will deliver us from everything that we need deliverance from in our own personal life. No matter how deep the need or the problem, He will be our hiding place.”
- Of all the things the Lord could have emphasized for us in times of seeking Him, he makes an issue of hiding from our own flesh. We are hiding from the awareness of our own flesh and our own need.
- In the Garden, Adam and Eve believed a lie. When they believed that lie, they were bonded to satan, whose nature is a lie. It is this nature of a lie that has touched humanity and has worked through humanity ever since that time. We do not realize how deeply this goes in our nature and how humanity, in choosing the lie, has chosen a father other than God.
- We must seek His truth. We must run after Him. We must fast from hiding from ourselves, from hiding in lies and covering ourselves with that which is not a covering. We need to dwell in the shadow of the Almighty. We must come to Christ who is still sitting upon the Mount and entreating us to be gathered to Him.