This podcast is the third in a series on the crucifixion of Christ. It is important to take time with this subject because a true scriptural understanding of the crucifixion eliminates the mindset, still prevalent within Christianity, that the Jewish people killed Christ and therefore need to be punished. This dangerous lie was a root cause of the persecutions against the Jews, which ultimately facilitated the Holocaust. In this day of growing anti-Semitism, it is imperative that the Church reject any teaching that would justify, enable, or encourage any form of persecution against the Jewish people.
This podcast continues our detailed scriptural study of the individuals and groups involved in the crucifixion of Christ. The previous podcast covered three of these participants, the first being the Father. God Himself sacrificed His Son to bring salvation to the world. Next, Yeshua (Jesus) submitted to the plan of God, which was to go to the cross. Thirdly, satan and the demonic forces heavily influenced the humans involved in the crucifixion. In this podcast we cover the final three in our discussion.
First, we must understand the role of the Jewish people at the time. By covenant and by prophecy the children of Israel had to be a part of the sacrifice of Christ. Fulfillment of the prophecies and the plan of God to bring salvation was accomplished through the children of Israel and they were necessary participants in that fulfillment. The next individual involved was the high priest. Christ was the Lamb of God sacrificed at Passover, but He was also the atonement sacrifice. Therefore, He had to be chosen and offered up by the high priest, which we know happened at His crucifixion.
Finally, the Romans, representing the Gentile world, had to be involved. The Romans were the ones who performed the actual crucifixion and fulfilled many of the prophecies about the Messiah. And so the entire Gentile world is culpable for the death of Christ. If you are a Gentile who has experienced salvation through Christ, you must realize that you yourself are in agreement with His crucifixion, because without the death of Yeshua on the cross, you do not receive salvation.
- Acts 2:22-23. “You nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men.”
- Mark 11:7-10. “Hosanna! BLESSED IS HE WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD.”
- John 12:12-15. “BLESSED IS HE WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD, even the King of Israel.”
- Exodus 12:5-8, 12-14. “You are to celebrate it as a permanent ordinance.”
- Matthew 27:24-25. “His blood shall be on us and on our children!”
- John 4:22. “Salvation is from the Jews.”
- John 19:31-36. “… to fulfill the Scripture, ‘NOT A BONE OF HIM SHALL BE BROKEN.’”
- Hebrews 8:7-8. “I WILL EFFECT A NEW COVENANT WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AND … JUDAH.”
- Luke 22:15-22. “This cup … is the new covenant in My blood.”
- Acts 13:26-29. “When they had carried out all that was written concerning Him….”
- John 18:14. “Caiaphas … advised … it was expedient for one man to die on behalf of the people.”
- Matthew 27:19-26. “The chief priests and the elders persuaded the crowds to ask … to put Jesus to death.”
- Mark 15:10. “The chief priests had handed Him over.”
- Luke 24:19-20. “The chief priests and our rulers delivered Him to the sentence of death.”
- Acts 3:17-19. “The things which God announced beforehand … that His Christ would suffer, He has thus fulfilled.”
- Matthew 27:43. “LET GOD RESCUE Him now, IF HE DELIGHTS IN HIM.”
- Psalm 22:7-8. “Let Him rescue him, because He delights in him.”
- Revelation 5:9. “You … purchased for God with Your blood men from every tribe and tongue and people and nation.”
- Ephesians 2:11-15. “You who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.”
- Matthew 27:26-37. “The soldiers … mocked Him … spat on Him … beat Him.”
- Isaiah 52:14. “His appearance was marred more than any man.”
- “The Passover was given to the children of Israel, to the Jewish people, as a permanent ordinance. And it had to be fulfilled. It had to be followed.”
- “When you take Communion and when you receive Him as your Savior, you also are participating in the crucifixion of the Lamb of God. Your sin requires it as does the sin of the whole world.”
- “Do you understand that the Jewish people that were there carried out all that was written? They fulfilled the Word and the prophecies, which were absolutely necessary if salvation was to work and be effective.”
- It was a requirement that Yeshua suffer and die in substitution for us. It was God’s plan that He be our substitution. Why then would we look for someone to blame for his crucifixion when it was the eternal plan of God and an absolute necessity for forgiveness and grace to be brought to the world?
- It is very important for us to recognize that there was never a moment, from the time He was arrested until the time He died on that cross, when Yeshua did not have a choice. For salvation to come, every moment of it had to be according to His will to do the will of the Father.
- The biggest mistake that satan ever made was manipulating people through temptation into participation in the crucifixion. God used it to fulfill their part in His plan, but that does not mean they were not sinning. The fact that they were tempted, as mankind has always been tempted, only proves the need for the cross.